Reality Check is the youth action piece of Tobacco-Free Staten Island. Youth from all across Staten Island are encouraged to use the power of their voice to make a change at a local, city and state level.
To expose the manipulative and deceptive marketing tactics of the tobacco industry
To produce change in our communities through grassroots mobilization and education
To empower youth to see they are more than just replacement smokers from the tobacco industry
To empower youth across New York State to become leader in their communities
How we do it:
- Engage youth as leaders and activists in the movement against tobacco use and the tobacco industry.
- Educate community members and leaders about the manipulative and deceptive marketing tactics of tobacco companies, and mobilize them to take action.
- Engage community leaders and decision makers in support of community actions against tobacco and the tobacco industry.
- Develop media relationships and work to garner earned media.
- Utilize the youth voice to demand societal support to hold the tobacco industry accountable for its actions and to change the social norms that support those actions.
- Contribute to the advancement and growth of a youth action movement against the tobacco industry locally, statewide, nationally and internationally.